Thursday, August 11, 2011

Garden of Eatin' II

Our garden of eatin' has come along much better than expected. In fact, we have already started to enjoy a few "fruits of our labor" including lots of radishes and peas, a few kohlrabi, a zucchini or two and even a couple of tomatoes.


We have had zucchini for dinner 3 times so far. Kyle has a true fascination for it and I sure like it myself. I have a feeling with the 6 or so plants that we have that have flowers blooming we will have p-l-e-n-t-y of zucchini to go around. We'll have zucchini bread, zucchini fry, zucchini bake.....you know kinda like on Forest Gump with Bubba and his shrimp!


Kyle has tried convincing me several times that I need to "get rid of those sunflowers" because he feels that they are too close to the corn so the corn does not get enough sun but I feel that the corn, for what little actually sprouted and grew, is doing quite nicely. We even have a few cobs popping out here and there. Besides, who can resist sunflowers!!













I toted one of the kohlrabi that I had picked over to Kyle's mom so that she could try out my new found love (thanks to Jess) and she loved it. She was somewhat devastated that she was going to have to find even more room for a new plant in her garden next year, but still really enjoyed it.


The tomatoes seemed like a real hassle when we first started them. I killed the first batch of seeds that sprouted, or at least all but one. Then we got a few others that we had kept in the house up until the time it was warm enough outside to plant them. Even then we had to cover them and uncover them in our little home-made hot house until the wonderful Idaho weather decided to cooperate even better. Now they are taking each other over and they are sagging to the ground with scrumptious little green fruits. If each fruit ripens we should have plenty of tomatoes to bottle all of our spaghetti sauce and other things we were hoping for.


Even my, what I thought was dead, watermelon plant has started to crawl its way around the garden floor. It will never grow a watermelon on it before it freezes, but it was still a shock when I realized it had come back to life.


So all in all the garden is wonderful. We have slacked a bit on the weeding but we are very careful to make sure it has had plenty of moisture and these wonderful summer days have provided it with plenty of sunshine.




No comments:

Post a Comment